celebrates Birth Stories

Since you know our "birth story" already, we thought it would be a treat to hear yours! We sent out a call asking for birth stories, and we loved the response. From hospitals to the passenger seat in a car, these little bundles were brought into the world to ecstatic (and sometimes shocked!) mothers. Read, enjoy, and share your favorites! Click on a mama below to read her story.

Jana Francis

Owner and president of To read the full story, check out Jana's personal blog here.

Jane's Birth Story

Jane was due on May 6th, 2006. Her birth story starts May 1st. After a long day at work I spent the evening washing anything that might have a spec of dust on it. Talk about nesting! Around 6:30 am I woke up and had a contraction or two. By 8am the contractions were still coming and I managed to scrub the shower, toilets, and the counters and sinks in the bathroom and kitchen. During contractions I'd stop and breathe or even try to continue what I was doing to distract myself. I continued in 'putter' mode until Eric said he was going to the office. At that time I got a contraction that brought me to my knees. I remember saying, "Eric, I am DEFINITELY in labor."

I was calm about the whole thing and kept getting myself ready and packing. Once they became 2-4 minutes apart I told Eric we better get going because I knew they would only get worse and I needed to get comfortable to stay in the zone. Going out to the car, I wanted to walk all around my garden and memorize which flowers were in bloom on her birthday. May in Utah is gorgeous and I'm a gardener! Eric said, "JANA GET IN THE CAR." Sometimes I'm stupid.

We got to the hospital and I got settled in. When I got a contraction, I did my yoga breathing to get through them. I could hear baby's heartbeat through the monitor and that was reassuring. A nurse's assistant came in to set up the delivery tray. I looked at the myriad of scissors perfectly lined up. They should never let a woman in active labor see that many cutting devices!

My doula, Kathleen Richardson arrived and immediately meant business and took over. It was great surrendering to someone who knew the pain and knew how to manage it. All I had to do was breathe, relax, and say 'yeah that worked' or 'harder'. This was my first experience with a doula and now I am a BIG believer.

Contractions blurred from one to the next as I sat as still as I could to focus through the pain. When Dr. Chambers came in, I was 8 CM! I was happy I had made it that far without even an IV.

Contractions now gave me very little breaks and also peaked from the beginning, making moaning for one minute every other minute a must. I probably scared the hell out of any other laboring woman entering the hospital.

Then I started to realize that I really wanted that freaking epidural. Not too much, just take the edge off! No way did I want to deal with contractions this painful for that much longer and have energy to push. Freak, what have I done? The medal for this natural crap better be big and I better get it fast!

Dr. Chambers said I would be pushing before long and she checked me at 9 1/2 CM. OUCH. She said to bare down a little with the contractions but that didn't provide the relief and didn't feel good. Then came the next contraction. It started with a fury but suddenly it MADE me push. I didn't want to push...I just didn't want to split in two! The next bit all blurs together with phrases like, "1,2,3,4,5, wait deep breath and hold it! Don't fight it, grab behind your legs!"

Little did I know my baby's head was right there. I assumed there were hours left. I opened my eyes and saw my mom holding her thumbs up and saying, "she's right there, almost done!" That gave me renewed energy. Dr. Chambers was massaging with lots of gel while I'm moaning like a wolf (OWIE) and somehow in the moaning and pushing and stretching and tightness and burning I hear that her head is out! I had a major recalibration in my mind of what pain really was, but it was also the most beautiful sensation I could ever imagine feeling. The gush and sense of incredible relief once that shoulder rounds the corner is unreal. I looked down and saw this perfect outline of a blue infant laying on a table. I kept asking, is she ok? Is she breathing? Eric was saying, she's fine, her chest is moving and then I hear 'resuscitation, please'. In comes a nurse and my baby disappears on to a high table and all the attention shifted over there.

Then I hear 7 lbs, 6 oz, 20 inches long!

Finally I had my sweet baby Jane in my arms with her little swollen face that was so cute, innocent and funny looking at the same time. I cried at how amazing she was just looking up at me; there is no better moment on earth. The blank but meaningful, innocent stare into your eyes your baby gives you as they desperately try to focus their eyes and blink to look into yours made me finally realize that baby Jane is here!

Ricki A.

On Friday, December 14th I was still pregnant. 7 days overdue and feeling ready to be done with it. Our Midwife suggested that I try a herbal induction which would hopefully help kickstart my labour. At 11am I took the first dose, castor oil and lemon verbena, it was disgusting to say the least. Castor oil is not pleasant to drink. The Midwife said that it would probably take 3 doses before being effective, so I took the second dose at 3pm and still nothing was happening. At about 5:30pm I started to feel regular tightenings but there was no pain with them, so at 6pm we decided to order Chinese and sent my dad to pick it up. While waiting, at around 6:20pm I started to have some discomfort with the contractions and within a few minutes my water broke. I phoned the Midwife and she said that she would meet me at the hospital, which was a 25 minute drive from our home. David and I started grabbing our stuff and took about 15 mins to get into the car. My contractions started getting stronger to where I had to stop and wait for them to pass, but they only lasted about 30-45 seconds, and came every 2 minutes. My first labour with my daughter started the same way, with contractions 2 mins apart, and she took 12 hours to arrive. We started on the drive to the hospital and about half a block from our house I suddenly felt the baby start coming down and I could tell that her head was just about coming out. I told David to turn around and go back to the house where my Mom was (she is a retired nurse). We pulled into the driveway and David ran into the house to get her and call 911. She was so shocked and flustered by the situation that she ran out of the house and didn't hear David telling her to bring towels with her, leaving him to watch Haeli (our 1 1/2 yr old), get towels and blankets and call 911 (who wouldn't let him hang up the phone). In the mean time he was also able to call my Dad who was at the Chinese food restaurant and his parents to let them know what was happening. After about 5 minutes the ambulance arrived, and not a moment too soon, because about a minute later we welcomed Yvaine into the world. When I heard her robust cry I knew that she would be fine, and I honestly thought to myself, "this car is going to get detailed!"

We were taken in to the hospital via ambulance, and spent the night there. The next day we went home, and Yvie has been a wonderful baby ever since. We have been blessed to have a sweet baby who sleeps well, eats well, and rarely fusses about anything. But if she is anything like her sister we will need to watch out, because as soon as she learned to crawl she was a wild child, and there is no stopping her now!

Lisa M.

When my husband and I found out I was pregnant with our first, we were ecstatic! We didn't know what to expect but were in love with it all. My 1st trimester was great, and once our "little bun" began kicking at 16 weeks, we were glowing! Things took a quick turn when I was 24.5 weeks pregnant, and while on a "quick" 3-day vacation in Las Vegas, I started having contractions while walking the strip. Unaware of what was really going on, we went to the hospital to find out I was in labor, baby had dropped, and I was already dilated! Being over 1,300 miles from home and still 3.5months from my due date, words couldn't even explain the emotions we felt. After putting me on bed-rest & attempting to control the contractions, an emergency c-section lead to our son, Parker, being born Feb 29, 2012 (leap year!), 15 weeks premature, & weighing in at 890g (just under 2lbs)... basically 2-sticks of butter! One month was spent in the NICU in Vegas before we could return home where our tiny little man would be in the NICU for another 2 months overcoming many obstacles and literally fighting for his life! It was an absolute roller coaster; he would make a bit of progress, then have a major setback. Everyday at his "bedside", his little incubator, which became our new world; he was definitely our world. Experiencing this, seeing things, having your heart on edge at all times, gives a mother a completely different perspective. You learn to appreciate the smallest of things; learning to suck, swallow, and breathe never before seemed like such an amazing accomplishment! When our bundle of joy finally made it home, leaving the hospital at 6lbs we knew we were truly blessed and had a miracle in our arms. Parker is now 20.5lbs at "13 months old" (9.5months corrected), loves to play, talk, and crawl, and can melt even the sternest of hearts with his smile! Everyday I count my blessings, I hold my son tight, I remember and treasure every little bit of the last year, even those (for me) horrifying 3-months... as I know without them, I would have him, my little man.

Yih Ching L.

It was 11th August 2012. My son came in to our bedroom and woke us up. I remember waking up with mild contractions and made a joke about having our baby on the 12th since our son was born on the 12th and I was 38 weeks pregnant then. The contractions didn't bother me as I have been having contractions for weeks. We had a lovely day planned. It was the day that we were going to take maternity and family portraits. My boyfriend had to get a haircut before the photo shoot, so my son, Ethan and I walked around while waiting for him. Little did we know that we have been walking for over an hour! During the photography session, I was experiencing contractions but nothing was going to stop me from taking pictures of my huge belly (the only time I will be proud to have an enormous belly). We had to take pictures of our son's last moments of being the only child, wearing his "Big Brother" t-shirt, letting the whole world know that he was going to be one soon. After a long and tiring day, we went home and I was laying on the couch most of the night, watching TV and getting up for restroom breaks. The contractions got so intense that I started timing them. I laid on my left side, drank plenty of water, and took a warm shower. I decided to call my OB and he told me to go to the hospital if I can't take the pain anymore. It was 8pm when I called. I went to bed at midnight and was having a hard time falling asleep because of the tremendous pain I was enduring. I finally fell asleep but was rudely awaken by a madly painful contraction. I started crying and was shaking my boyfriend's arm so he would wake up. I yelled "Take me to the hospital" while sobbing. We arrived at the hospital and our baby was born 2 hours later. My labor progressed so fast that I didn't even have time for epidural. I have to say that I am very pleased with my labor because I got my 'dream' labor scenario; waking up in the middle of the night, going to the hospital crying and having contraction pains, stopping at the hospital hallway every few minutes because of contractions, pushing my baby with no epidural. Also, I had my maternity pictures taken on the last day of my pregnancy! All in all, my daughter was born on 12 August 2012. Exactly 22 months after her big brother was born. We named our daughter Evangeline Renee.

Gina J.

On Saturday, September 24, 2011, I went to get our wedding pictures (we were married in June of 2011) 90 miles away from home. I was also to go to a craft fair in my hometown. I had gotten our pictures, and went to the local Wal-Mart to waste a little time before the craft fair. I started to get cramps, and felt weird. I knew immediately what it was, the thing was I wasn't due yet. I debated or not if should go to the local hospital or drive back home to where my husband and my doctor was. I chose to drive 90 miles back alone in labor.

I got home and my husband found me hunched over in a contraction, I told what was going on. He freaked out and I calmly said we need to go to the hospital. We got to the ER and the doctors tried everything to stop the contractions. The doctor told me ready or not I was having a baby that day. Alexander was born little after 5 pm that day 7 weeks early. He spent almost 4 weeks in the NICU. He came home and was perfect right before Halloween of 2011.

Allison W.H.

The birth story of my firstborn child was not at all what any first-time mom dreams about. I had no birth plan, I didn't get to deliver with the midwife I had hoped for, and I was strapped to a bed in order to allow for monitoring of my precious little boy at all times, instead of being able to move and work through labor the way that I had intended. It really was exactly opposite of what I had wanted, but the reality was that it was perfect. You see, at my 20 week ultrasound, my OB discovered that something was wrong with my baby boy's heart. He was prenatally diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (he essentially only had half of his heart) as well as several other heart defects. Our world came crashing down and all my plans moved away from what I wanted from my pregnancy and labor experience to what could be done to safely bring my sweet boy to this world and allow him a chance to live. I delivered at a hospital uniquely adapted to welcome such a high risk baby that was two hours away from my home. Instead of the drug-free labor I was hoping for, I was strapped in a bed for almost three days as they induced labor and moved VERY slowly so as not to stress his precious heart. After 16 hours of intense pitocin contractions, I asked for an epidural so I could have the strength I would need to get through the rest of his delivery. I was told he would likely not be breathing at birth and would need to be whisked immediately to the NICU team who were present in my delivery to attempt to stabilize him for open heart surgery right after birth. It was very late on a Thursday night when my perinatologist told me that if my baby didn't start making some progress, they would need to proceed with a C-Section (my greatest fear since that would mean I would not be allowed to be discharged to follow him to the Children's Hospital where he would have surgery). My husband was exhausted and fell asleep on the chair next to my bed. In the space of 1 hour, I moved from a 6 to a 10 and I began to feel the urges to push. My precious baby was crowning and everyone had given up on me! I had dropped my call button on the floor and my exhausted husband was so deeply asleep that he didn't wake up to me screaming to get the doctor. Thankfully, a janitor happened to be outside the room and cautiously peeked in the door. He ran to find a nurse and before I knew it, a team of nurses, specialists, residents, and the NICU staff were all in my room (a nurse hit my husband with a pillow to wake him so he didn't miss it!). My sweet baby was ready and with three pushes, he arrived with a healthy cry. He was placed on my stomach to get wiped down and in an act of kindness, the perinatoligist hurriedly handed a pair of surgical scissors to my husband so he could cut the cord. He was quickly wrapped in a blanket and my husband was able to give him a quick squeeze as he passed him to the waiting NICU. We only were able to lock eyes for about a minute, but one look in his dark eyes filled my heart with more love than I knew was possible. For a first time mom, I felt like this was probably most people's worst nightmare, but for me in that moment, I would have done it all again in order to hear my son cry. I am now thrilled to report that this sweet little boy who was given a very small chance to live past his birth just had his 4th birthday. He has undergone 7 heart surgeries and 4 abdominal surgeries over the last 4 years and was the poster child for the Children's Hospital's fundraising campaign last year.He is now joined by a healthy baby brother and has more zest for life and wisdom than any other child I have ever known. His arrival in this world was filled with uncertainty, but he has proved to me time and again that life happens while we are busy making other plans, and the real joy is found in the journey.

Stacie L.

My husband deployed to Afghanistan a few days before our firstborn was due. Somehow, between hopping helicopter rides and moving around in-country, he managed to find a phone and called right after my first push in the delivery room. He had no idea I was in labor. We were very blessed to have him hear the first cries of our new daughter from 8,000 miles away in the middle of a combat zone.

Here she is and Daddy listening from the cell phone on my chest.

Angie G.

We had some idea that our second baby would come fast, but no idea just how fast.

The morning of June 7, 2012 I woke up to my 3-year-old crawling in bed with me and wanting cartoons. I was 5 cm dilated the day before but with two weeks left before my due date, the doctor had sent me home. So, as I moved to turn on cartoons my water broke. I went to the bathroom and asked my daughter to get my cell phone. Daddy was working 40 minutes away and I knew he needed to get home. I waited 10 minutes for my first contraction so I decided to grab a quick shower.

I got out and dressed and had a DOOZY of a contraction (only my second contraction) that sent me to the floor. My 3-year old came in and rubbed my back and told me she would make me feel better. I still thought I had time... I didn't. Ten more minutes went by and I found myself in the bathroom and feeling the urge to push. I called 911 and stood in the bathtub.

Next thing I know half her head is out and I'm all alone with a 3 year old. At that moment, while in a panic my husband walked into the house. My three-year-old, now standing at the door, said "Daddy, mommy. Ouchie. bathroom." He thought I was just having a contraction but walked in to find me still in the tub holding her crowning head. He got me to the floor and I gave one last big push and Ella Joy was born. Two minutes later the police came and 2 after that, the ambulance.

In total I had 40 minutes of labor, 4 contractions and 3 pushes. Lucky for us everyone was fine.

My husband's only regret was that he didn't cut the cord with his John Wayne buck knife. How many men can say they delivered their baby on their bathroom floor and didn't actually have to listen to hours of screaming?!?

Amy H.

My son, Case Everett Hodge was born 1/25/12. I was 34 years old, married for almost 13 years, and have Multiple Sclerosis. I was not sure that I wanted children, but not sure that I didn't. I was also unsure what it would mean to my health. My husband and I love children, and I am one of 6 I figured I would have a child but we were busy with careers, life and honestly just not feeling this old! Still, I decided to get off the pill a couple of years previously, and just go about life. To test hormone levels for my health, I was advised to get an ovulation kit. This kit, which came with a fancy digital pregnancy test mostly sat under my cabinet. I was too busy to worry about it.

Being a voice teacher, I have recitals at the end of every year. At the close of the stressful spring, my husband and I went out to relax and have pizza. As I got ready for bed, I randomly thought "I still have that pregnancy test under my sink. It's going to expire if I don't use it. I just wonder what it is like to pee on that thing?" Expecting nothing, I did just that...I peed on the fancy stick. Much to my surprise, it said "pregnant." I knew it had to be wrong. I had no symptoms, I was not even trying...impossible. I walked to the living room and told my husband showing him the freshly peed on stick. Seeing his shock, I tried to tell him of the kit, the desire to pee on a fancy was all coming out crazy talk. Promptly, we went out to purchase another test. It said...nothing. Inconclusive. So we waited until the morning. I took another test, the answer was NEGATIVE!! So, I had a not, a maybe and a yes. I figured my hormones were off, so I went to the doctor. She confirmed a positive result. After adjusting to the news, we were ecstatic!

It was a fabulous pregnancy. I felt great! But, since my siblings and I were big babies, I would ask my OB, "Is this going to be big baby?" She assured me repeatedly "Probably 7-8 lbs. Average." My due date came around. Little Case sat still there a few days and my doctor said that I could opt for induction. I did not want to, as I felt fine and I didn't want to do an induction unless medically necessary. After a urine test that was a little off, she said it was still my choice but she would feel comfortable with the induction. 6:00 a.m. on 1/25/12, I started the eviction process of my sweet 'wombmate'. I opted for an epidural. I was comfortable, but not completely numb. Labor was uncomfortable, but not bad! During labor I asked again "Will he be a big baby"? Laughing, she assured me most likely average. And then she said, ""well...maybe average sized with a pumpkin head." Then with the final push the room gasped. My OB said, "Oh my, if that is not a 10 pound baby, then I don't have a medical degree!"

My gentle giant was born at 6:36 p.m., weighing 10 lbs, 6 1/2 oz. He is everything I wanted more than I thought I'd ever have, and greater than I deserve. From the pregnancy to the birth, he was my curious Case.

Now as a toddler, he is really living up to his name.

Mary M.

Here is my birth story as I would tell it to my little man.

On December 3rd Mommy went to your Grandma's house to bake Christmas cookies. She made it out there around 8am. She ate some sausage gravy and biscuits and then began to dip oreo balls into chocolate. At 9 your Mommy started to have some discomfort. She would get up move around and then sit back down. Your Grandma knew what was happening and told your Mommy to start timing the contractions. You were coming to see us today. Meanwhile, your Daddy was out at the flying field with the club helping them. Your Mommy texted him and said that you would be arriving later today.

At about 2:30pm your Grandma took Mommy to the hospital and your Daddy met us there. We called everyone we could once Mommy was admitted. Your Nana and Grandpa Joe made it here in time to see you arrive. Mommy progressed quickly and by 11:00pm it was time to push. After pushing for 52 minutes, you were born. You were breathing too quickly so Mommy never got to hold you. Your Daddy did for a split second. Mommy made it to the room at 3:00am and you came to stay with us at 3:30am. It was love at first sight!

Sara B.

I had the most amazing birth experience.

I was 10 days overdue so my wonderful midwives gave me a not-so-delicious cocktail of apricot juice, Verbena oil, almond butter and a little castor oil to get things going, 4 hours later (1pm)and labour started, gently. I lay in bed watching the Olympics on the ipad as the contractions came like waves over me. My husband timed my contractions on his phone and we decided to call the midwife as they were getting closer together, about 3 minutes apart. My lovely midwife arrived at around 3 o'clock and checked me, I was 6 cm dilated so she suggested to drive to the hospital, our other two midwives would meet us there. So we set off in the car which was much more uncomfortable than my bed, I was stay at home next time! Unfortunately that is when the traffic started, there was an accident so we diverted to another route, it was taking a lot longer than the 30 minutes it should have taken. Then my waters broke!! About 5 minutes later I started pushing! Yes, I was still in the car, in TRAFFIC! We called the midwife and she said not to panic but if we could get there as soon as possible that would be great...! Three pushes later and my husband decided to put his hazard lights on, drive into the on-coming traffic and get passed all the traffic, we arrived at the hospital at 5:05pm and Arthur was delivered 26 minutes later! My midwives were amazing at every step of the way and we were all home less than 4 hours later! Here is a picture of us at home the next morning. Arthur is now eight months old and such a happy, playful boy.

Staci S.

A Deployment Birth Story

On Thursday, March 28, 2013, I went to bed early and woke up at 9:45pm thinking I was peeing myself a little, but as soon as I stood up I realized that my water broke. I was shaking, not sure what I should do. I got my phone and called my mom and my dad. They both quickly came over. Gail, my Stepmom, stayed with my sleeping girls who are 3 1/2 and 2 years old. I tried texting my husband Will but knew I couldn't get a hold of him because he was sleeping and didn't have Wifi in the dorms. Thankfully, one of the guys he was deployed with was on Facebook and he ran and woke him up!

We tried to rest but I was so anxious. I mostly stood in the kitchen and swayed my hips to try to get things going. I also did some nipple stimulation since the midwife told me she'd have me do that if my contractions didn't get started. I finally decided to try to lay down about 1:30am, but started to feel some contractions. By 2am, I started timing them and they were consistently 3 minutes apart.

When we got to the Birth Center, they started filling the bathtub. Contractions definitely started getting more intense but were still manageable. My BFF Tresa called Will on the iPad and he was there with me for the whole labor. There was a point pretty early on in the contractions where I was leaning over on the bed and just looking at him and crying. It was just pure sadness that he was not with me. It was the realization that I had to do this without him.

After a while I had to get out of the tub because I was getting too hot and I also had to go to the bathroom. While in the bathroom, the contractions started getting worse. Then I moved onto the bed and hunched over a big ball for a while. While there I had the longest most painful contraction ever. It felt like 10 minutes, even though I know it wasn't. I had the midwife check me again, she said I was 7cm and that Amelia's head was still pretty high up. That was discouraging. This was about when I said "I can't do this!" Everyone quickly jumped in and told me that I could!

I got back in the tub and was on my knees the whole time, hunched over the edge. I really tried to be quiet and just inwardly focus on getting through each contraction. They were so intense and coming so fast that the only thing I could do was breathe and vocalize "OWWWWW...." I couldn't really hear anyone else when they'd ask me things. I pushed through each contraction but I was so tired. I remember thinking that there was no way I had the strength to push Amelia out. I felt like I was dozing off in between contractions. I pushed through another contraction and I immediately knew this push was different, my body was pushing out her head! I kept saying that I was really afraid I was going to poop in the tub! I yelled "the head!" She told me one more push and she'd be out. I pushed and pulled her out at 6:37am. Only about a half an hour from when I was checked at 7cm.

I was in shock that it was over. My body was relieved and everyone was crying. She was a little blue and I held oxygen in front of her nose for a little bit, but she pinked right up. I kept looking at Will and he was crying which made it all real to me suddenly and I started crying.

I quickly got out of the tub and Julie and my midwife helped me take my wet clothes off and get over to the bed. I did skin to skin with Amelia and passed the placenta which was bagged up for encapsulation. Mom and Dad stayed with me and my Stepmom, Gail went and got my Grandma and brought the girls over. Hayden was so happy to finally meet Amelia and Ella was pretty much indifferent! Will was on the iPad with me through the whole thing and got to see the girls meet Amelia for the first time.

Later that morning Amelia was weighed and measured. She was 7 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long. For my first natural birth I had my biggest baby! She was born at exactly 38 weeks and on my Mom's birthday, March 29, 2013.

Will came home from his deployment in Afghanistan on Tuesday, April 9, 2013 and met his third little girl who was only 11 days old for the first time.

Lyndsy S.

At 38 weeks, after suffering two previous pregnancy losses, and a very long and difficult pregnancy including several complications, my water broke at home. I went to the hospital, leaving my 2 year old son and my husband at home hoping to confirm that I didn't just pee my pants! I was 3 cm dilated and they confirmed that I had indeed broken my waters. They gave me pitocin and an epidural. The epidural hurt A LOT, unlike my first time around and my blood pressure dropped dramatically and I passed out. My poor husband was scared to death. After a few hours my son's heart rate started to dip dramatically and they prepped me for a C-section whispering about a cord being stuck somewhere. I really didn't want to have a c-section. I was scared. So they rolled me over and as long as I stayed on one side his heart rate was fine. After 6 hours on one side having no epidural I was fully dilated. The doctor warned me that if I didn't get my baby out quickly that he would use forceps or the vacuum to get him out because my son was not tolerating this position well. 15 min later after the hardest work I have ever done, my son was born with no help but mine. His cord was wrapped around his neck three times and his whole head was purple while the rest of his body was grey. He is now a healthy and happy 11 month old who is a little trouble maker who likes to tease his big brother and walk around the house screaming. It was the best and scariest experience of my life.

Jen M.

Birth story of our Snowflake

After a traumatic try at a natural hospital birth with our first son, not being able to dilate past 9 with a lip, and being posterior, we had a rough time fighting just to have him vaginally, my husband and I were bound and determined to have a home-birth our second go around! Dec 16th my water had a pop most likely from a toe in the top, making the anticipation of labor that much worse! On the 17th we walked circles in the mall all day long trying to get things progressing. The morning of the 18th I woke up at 6:02 am with uncomfortable contractions. But I kept going back to sleep. At 8:34 am, I started timing them realizing by 8:40 they were a minute long and 4 minutes apart.

My husband , midwife, mother in law, and our photographer were all there by 10:20. I was checked and was at a 6! I got into our birthing pool so ready to meet our little Snowflake (the nickname we gave our new little bundle, not knowing the sex). At 11:50 am my contractions were coming two at a time, two minutes apart, giving me virtually no rest in between. The midwife asked if I would be okay with being checked for progress. I agreed. When she checked me I was elated at the words 9 cm! Then came the panic. The same words I heard from our first sons birth came out of her mouth, but there is a little bit of a lip. She told me she could still pop my water, and see if that kicks everything into gear, or we could just keep going through contractions. I weighed my options from all the research I had done, I was scared, squeezed my husband's hand for reassurance, and he squeezed back letting me know it was okay.

My water was popped by an amnio hook at noon. At 12:20 my body began pushing. 5 pushes and my husband was the first to see our Snowflake's head! I then flipped from hands and knees in the pool to my husband's arms, legs being supported by my mother in law and the midwife's assistant. 3 more pushes and we had a beautiful perfect baby laying in my arms! Our daughter was helped into the pool, Snowflake was uncovered and she announced to us all that she had ANOTHER BROTHER! Jrue Leo was born at 12:29pm Dec. 18th weighing 9lbs 4.5oz 22inches, at home, surrounded by family and love!

Amanda S.

I was four days overdue and scheduled to be induced in the next day midnight. As much as I didn't really want to be induced and I was done being pregnant, there was a part of me that was ok with waiting another day and a half because my doctor was out of town. I liked the doctor who was taking care of her patients, but it still wasn't MY doctor. But of course, my youngest has her own way of doing things and I went into labor at 10:30am on a Sunday. Wanting to spend as much time as possible at home, I labored throughout the day, taking care of my three older kids while my husband was at work. My husband got off work at 5pm, everyone ate dinner, and then we took our older children to my friend's house to spend the night. Afterwards, I wasn't feeling ready to head to the hospital, so we went back home to labor some more. I took a shower and we watched some TV. At 11pm, I had my husband time a few contractions and he said they were 2-3 minutes apart. I felt that couldn't be right so I stood up to walk around. All of a sudden it was like someone flipped a switch. The contractions HURT! I ended up getting sick, which is usually an indication of going through transition for me. I told my husband we needed to leave NOW. He went to warm up the car because of course we were in the middle of a cold snap and the temperatures were hanging out in the below zero range. We arrived at the hospital at 11:53pm. The nurse had me strip and put on a hospital gown so that I could be checked. I was at 9 1/2 cm and my bag of waters was still intact. They went to call the doctor and my water broke. The nurse checked me again and I was complete. I remember the nurses trying to pull everything together and me calling out that the baby was crowning. I also remember a nurse looking down and saying, "Oh, big baby!" I pushed, but she was stuck. The nurses started yelling, saying, "you have to push! Push now!" and me yelling back, "I am!" Thankfully, they got her out. But she wasn't crying. She was't breathing. My husband stayed with me while they took her over to the warmer and began working on her. It took a couple of minutes but all of a sudden my husband looked at me and said, "Do you hear that?!" She was crying and pinking up nicely. My husband says that you could hear the nurses make a collective sigh of relief. The doctor hadn't made it, the nurses had been on their own. I was still in shock at that point. My beautiful baby girl, Juliet Abigail, had been born at 12:08am and weighed in at a very unexpected 10lbs 11oz. She was bruised, but healthy! Unfortunately on my end, things weren't improving. My placenta wasn't delivering and there was a lot of bleeding and clotting internally. When the doctor arrived, he had to reach into my cervix and clean me out. That was more painful that the actual delivery, but my recovery went well and we went home on Tuesday! Two days later we celebrated Thanksgiving and we had a brand new miracle to be thankful for!

Candace G.

Gracee was born February 8, 2009 over 10 weeks premature. I was very ill, and the doctors didn't think I'd make it if she wasn't delivered early. So via c-section, she was rushed into the world and straight into the NICU at Intermountain Health in Murray to spend the next 8 weeks of her life. Through hospital medicinal overdoses, a serious sepsis infection that almost took her life, and incredible emotion, we brought her home April 1st. We are so thankful to the NICU nurses there, and most of all to God for bringing her through this. As a welcome home present, we bought her first AllyZabba blankie from you guys at and today, 4 years later, she still drags it around :-)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Jordan J.

My water broke about 30 hours before my labor actually really started. Things didn't really start for me until I got in the tub at my birth center around 4:30pm. When I arrived there I was 1.5cm and 75% effaced. The same I had been for about 5 hours.

The tub was amazing. I instantly felt relaxed. I tried a few different positions outside of the tub too - the toilet (which was by far the hardest position, but I knew it was the one that worked the best in getting Wyatt to come down fast), the birth ball (which I absolutely hated - which again, indicates 'it's workin!'), standing, laying down (totally painful and completely inefficient), back to the bathroom, and then back again in the tub.

When I got back into the tub it was probably around 6PM. I can remember getting to that place - "I can't do this anymore". I remember saying it out loud at one point and Annie saying "But you are doing it" with each contraction you say it is harder and harder, but you keep doing it. Kristin would tell me that what I was feeling was just my baby. I can remember that during a contraction at this point, I started to panic. It was so intense, I could feel my breathing quicken. I could feel my face crumble. Kristin would remind me to not let the contraction happen to me - that I needed to take advantage of it and use it to bring my baby farther down. Before I knew it, I heard my sounds change. My low moan during a contraction quickly turned into a grunt. I couldn't physically help it. Chris soon came over to me and said, "Sweetie, what are you feeling?" I told her that I felt pressure. "OK, miss Jordan, you are complete and can push if you'd like. We're going to have this baby!" The sounds in the room were amazing. I could actually HEAR their smiles - and their tears of excitement. We decided I would get up into the squat position. I can remember turning towards my team and seeing smiles and excitement. I couldn't help but feel the energy coming from them. Ty came right in front of me and we locked wrists. With each push, I could feel an enormous amount of pressure, but it didn't hurt. It was so not what I expected. I pushed for a total of 28 minutes. I was a 1.5 at 4:30 and in just over 2 hours, I was at a 10. When his head came out, it was like nothing happened. I honestly thought I had given birth to Beatlejuice. Remember that part? When his head shrunk? It felt like a pushed out a lolly pop. Within moments he literally slid out of me so fast, he broke his own umbilical cord. He was swimming around behind me and we had to fish him out. Chris grabbed him and brought him up out of the water and handed him to me. My life changed forever at 7:21PM on November 6th, 2011.

Wyatt's birth was so many things. It was hard. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It was the biggest thing I've ever done. It was the most empowering thing I've ever accomplished. It was the first time I really trusted and believed in myself and my body. That is the most amazing moment - to know that you allowed your body to do what it was made to do, naturally... to know your strength.

Emily J. (EmJ)

After going through an incredibly difficult first birth, I was determined to do it differently this time. I am very grateful the c-section allowed Ryker to get here safely. But I had a different plan for Lydia's birth. No drugs, no induction, no medical intervention unless me or my baby required it.

It started at 3:45am on Saturday July 11, 2009. I woke up to cramping. Then I had a weird feeling I had never felt before. Instantly I knew it was a contraction. For the next several hours the contractions continued 3-5 min apart.

I spent much of the day trying to rest and eat well because I could tell it was going to be a LONG night! Around midnight, they got more intense and more difficult to handle so we called my doula. By the time she got there they were 6 min apart and I needed her help during each one. We decided that we probably better head to the hospital around 3 am.

My mom and Scott checked us in. The nurse told them there was a good chance I'd have to have a repeat c-section if the doctor on call didn't feel like doing a VBAC. Being the amazing and husband he is, Scott said, "Well, then we'll go and labor in the parking lot until she's crowning." When I heard what he had done, I nearly jumped for joy and hugged him. He knew how important this was to me. I had come this far, was 10 days late, had searched and found a doctor that was supportive, and I was not going to let the on call doctor ruin it.

In Utah, the laws require that a doctor be at the hospital for the entire VBAC labor. The on call doctor refused the VBAC and said I had to have a c-section. The nurses looked and my doctor went on call at 7am. By now it was 4am. They called my doctor and he agreed to come in, just so I could have a shot at giving birth I wanted. I will forever be in debt to my doctor for being so willing.

At 6:30am my nurse came in and checked me. I was a 6 almost 7! I couldn't believe it! I went from a 1 to a 6 in 2.5 hours! I had a renewed vigor and sense of determination. My mom turned to me and said, "They are setting up the room for a vaginal birth!" I couldn't believe that my dream was coming true. I hadn't thought about it too much until then, but now there was NO doubt in my mind. I was doing this! And doing it my way! 26 hours of labor and contractions with no tears until that moment.

At 9am my nurse came and checked me . She said my doctor needed to see progress in the next hour. The room was filled with determination and positive energy. There was no doubt in my mind that every person in there had complete confidence in me and my body. I switched to a new position, so there was no way for Scott to help relieve the pain. Instead, when he could tell I was at my limit, he'd grab my face and say, "You can do this. You are so strong. You're almost done." I went from an 8 to 10 in 20 minutes!

I pushed and loved it! At 11:20am Lydia Mechell was born. I watched her come out and be placed immediately onto my chest. She was perfect! There was my baby, perfect and healthy, and born without any intervention, completely naturally. And I felt GREAT! I have never felt that kind of joy in my life. I probably cried 100 times that day. It was so surreal.

Almost 4 years later I still cry every time I think about it. It was so empowering!

Cat S.

My NST on Tuesday 4/9/13 was eventful, with hard contractions that I was not really feeling. So my midwife comes in and suggests checking to see if I was dilated. I didn't want her to because I didn't want to hear that I was not dilated or effaced, so I told her not to tell me. She checked and I was 4cm and 80% effaced. I went home to wait, feeling fine and not believing I would go into labor anytime soon. At 2am the next morning, I woke with a long cramp. It wasn't really painful, more like a bad menstrual cramp. 5 minutes later, I felt the cramp again. I figured I would head in since I had to get antibiotics for being GBS+ and my labors usually do not allow for them. I call midwife at approximately 2:15 and tell her we are headed in. Unfortunately, hubby is out of his mind at this moment and forgets how fast my labors go, he's being slow until I yell at him to get moving. We leave for hospital finally and get there at 2:55. I get upstairs at about 3:05, where I am taken to my room, and midwife is there already. She checks and I am now 5cm, so I am not going anywhere. They get IV in first and antibiotics started. On a fast setting. Then they do monitors, but cannot get both babies on monitors, so she puts an internal monitor on. My water breaks. The 'cramps' still are not painful and not being picked up on the monitors, so I sit on the birthing ball. at about 4am, I tell midwife that this is ridiculous and taking way longer than my other labors. Cramps are not doing anything. I stand up and all of a sudden I am uncontrollably pushing. It takes a few minutes to get onto the bed, and on my side. I am still uncontrollably pushing and Parker Thomas arrives at 4:15. Then I panic. It's not the relief that I usually have when I push out a baby, contractions pick back up. They get an u/s machine in there quickly and see that Logan flipped head down. 4:21, Logan George is born. No matter how many ultrasounds I had, nothing prepared us for the shock of actually looking at two perfect miracles. My best birth ever.

Jessica G.

When I delivered my first daughter Gabriella, I wanted nothing more than a peaceful beginning to her life. I see now that I put my trust in the wrong person, (a money hungry OB) when I should have put the trust in myself. I was wrongfully induced which led to a cascade of really horrible events such as a 23 hour tramatic birth, horrible recovery and Postpartum Depression. I should have, could have and would have done thing so differently if I had just trusted my body. Trust the process. Trust my intuition. When you know better, you do better.

I was almost 42 weeks pregnant when I went into labor on my own, all natural. I decided to let my baby chose her birthday this time. At 5:10am on Sunday 2-17-13 I was laying in bed, sleeping. My water broke after a very strong, long contraction. I felt a pop sensation, Then I felt a huge gush of water. I woke up my husband then I called the birthing center at the hospital; they told me to come in right away.

6 am: My husband got Gabriella, our 3 year old daughter, from her bed and put her in the car to go to our relatives home, about 35 minutes away. I labored the whole way, while my delirious preschooler is in the back seat, cracking jokes, laughing at herself, asking questions and helping me keep my mind off the contractions. They were getting stronger and stronger, lasting longer and longer. 2-3 mins apart. We drop off our daughter and head to the birthing center at the hospital.

7am: I get checked in to triage, monitored and checked, I am 4cm. I labor in the triage bed and had a few more contractions while the triage nurses phoned my midwife, she arrives about 15 minutes later.

8am: I get into my delivery room; I turned it into my sacred space. I opened a bottle of lavender oil essential oils. The room smells like a spa. My midwife, rubs the lavender oil on my pressure points. Lights are low, blinds are closed, the room is warm, I make it my own. I feel safe. I feel calm. Every time I got a contraction, my midwife would push my chakra on my forehead and encourage me to take a breath. "Relax your face, relax your shoulders, relax your chest, relax your stomach,relax your uterus, relax your thighs/ legs, relax your ankles, relax your toes. Allow your body to open, your pelvis to open and welcome your baby, getting lower and lower." For every time she said "relax", I closed my eyes, took a deep breath. My midwife would push on each pressure point on my body, literally taking the pain away. Before I knew it, the contraction was over. "This is not pain, it is just a sensation. My body is doing it's job" I repeatedly told myself.

9am: My midwife recommends I get into the birthing tub to help me relax and open up. She pads the bottom of the tub with pillows and while the tub fills up with warm water, she places warm towels over my body. My midwife puts an open bottle of lavender oil and places it beside me to smell. I cannot tell you how good this felt. I was so relaxed.

10am: I am now 8, almost 9cm. At this point, I'm going through transition. I can feel my baby get lower and lower. I know the end is near. I keep remembering all the things I read in the many childbirth books I read. My contractions are 2 minutes apart and rapidly gaining momentum. I want to push. My midwife checks me, I am 10cm. I keep going in and out of consciousness, in between each push. I start pushing at 11:45(ish). I continued to push and push. My midwife tells me, "Jessica, with your next contraction, I want you to reach down and grab your baby, she is right there waiting for you." I give a gentile push, reach down, grab my daughter and place her on my stomach. Feeling my baby exit my body, into my own hands, feels absolutely electric! I rub her back and she lets out the perfect cry. I am instantly at peace. Relief. I did it!!!!! Within an instant my heart grew, my life changed and my soul was renewed.

On February 17th, 2013, my daughter, Ireland Rose was born at 12:18 pm, weighing a healthy 8 pounds, 9 ounces, 20 inches long. I stare in complete awe of her beauty. She is absolutely perfect. I am proud of myself, I cannot believe I did it! All natural, no IV, no drugs, no interventions. Just like we wanted. After experiencing a miscarriage and 8 months of trying to conceive; My prayers were answered. My natural birth could not have been more perfect. I feel so bonded with Ireland, instantly. I now have experienced a medicated birth and a natural birth. Based on both situations and how easier it was the second time, I can say natural birthing is the way to go. I also did placenta encapsulation and believe this has contributed to my fast recovery, abundant milk supply, no PPD and energy level.